The four-week challenge works your core without equipment
During the pandemic, keeping – or getting – or core (belly and back) in good shape is relatively easy to do and requires no equipment.
I offer the Fit From Home Challenge, just to challenge ourselves, do something together, and keep fit during social distancing.
The Fit at Home Challenge is mostly a back and core workout from home with pushups and some kind of leg work to boot. So it increases your core mobility and strength.
Here are the guidelines:
- Do the Challenge five days of the week.
- You have ALL DAY to complete the workout. That means you can break the work into halves or even quarters to build up your strength.
- If this is too easy, you can add 10 reps or 30 seconds on to all the exercises!
The exercises for a solid core workout from home
Leg work. Choose One of the Following:
– Air Squat: Hold your hands at your chest while you sit back in a squat with your weight on your heels. Make sure your knees are roughly over your shoelaces.
– Split Squat: Bring one leg forward into a split stance. Keep your torso upright, hands at your chest. Drop your back knee straight down so your front knee is roughly over your shoelace. Do all the reps on one side first. Try to bring the back knee to the ground, but modify as necessary.
– Bulgarian Split Squat: Similar to Split Squat, but the back foot is elevated on a bench or low object like an ottoman. Remember to keep your front knee is over your shoelace.
You may do these on your elbows or hands. Keep your belly tight and pulled toward your spine. If you need to modify, use your knees. Try to keep your knees elevated and build toward the full time throughout the day!
Lie on your back. Raise your arms overhead with your hands on the ground. Press the small of your back into the floor, squeezing your abs tightly. Then, raise your feet and knees off the ground. Straighten your legs and extend them just off the floor. Raise your torso off the ground so that ONLY the hollow of your back is on the ground. Hold!
Hold a heavy book or laundry detergent bottle or gallon of milk in your hands while you sit on the ground. Raise your knees up with your feet still on the ground. Lean back slightly. Tap the weight on either side of your, twisting your torso. Move slowly and deliberately. Then, straighten legs and do rotations. Then, lean back further closer to the ground.
Lie on belly. Raise arms off the ground and hold. Then, raise legs off the ground and hold both arms and legs. Then, squeeze belly down into floor. With your arms overhead, shape them into I, then a little wider into a Y, then a little wider into a T, then a W with elbows down and back and hands up. Each movement should tightly squeeze the shoulder and back muscles.
Week 1 core workout from home
- 20 pushups
- 50 Air Squats/ 20 Split Squats/ 15 Bulgarian Squats
- Two minutes of Plank
- Hollow: 60 seconds
- Russian Twists: 60 seconds
- Super Hero with I, Y, T, W: 60 seconds
Week 2 core workout from home
- 30 pushups
- 60 Air Squats/ 25 Split Squats/ 20 Bulgarian Squats
- 2:30 seconds of Plank
- Hollow: 90 seconds
- Russian Twists: 90 seconds
- 90 seconds of Super Hero with I, Y, T, W
Week 3 core workout from home
- 40 pushups
- 70 Air Squats/ 30 Split Squats/ 25 Bulgarian Squats
- Three minutes of Plank
- Hollow: Two minutes
- Russian Twists: Two minutes
- Two minutes of Super Hero with I, Y, T, W
Week 4 core workout from home
- 50 pushups
- 80 Air Squats/ 35 Split Squats/ 30 Bulgarian Squats
- 3:30 of Plank
- Hollow: 2:30
- Russian Twists: 2:30
- Super Hero: 2:30
Week 5 core workout from home
- Repeat the entire first week workout every day.
- See if you can finish the whole workout in one sitting, taking breaks as you need them.
If you’re a WAC member, let me know how this goes!
And as always, if you have questions or comments, send me an email at pwarloski at gmail dot com.
And if you want to talk about your training in these crazy times, contact me. We’ll have to skip the coffee for now, but FaceTime or Zoom can be our meeting place, and we can drink our own coffee!